PPA Council report
January 21, 2013
Council was called to order by Don Dickerson.
The highlights of the meeting were as follows:
- PPA has now crossed the 25,000 member level. This came about as a result of the Leadership’s intention of making it cost LESS to be a PPA member than not to belong.
- Indemnification claims totaled 450 with a payout of $317,000.
- Equipment loss claims totaled 300 with a payout of $490,000.
- TheLOOP is a new social media site available to all PPA members and non-members where ideas can be exchanged, images uploaded for critiquing, and questions submitted to get input from around the world.
- In March, PPA will unveil a new educational experience online, called PPA.edu. This promises to be an exciting addition to your PPA benefits.
- Professional Photographer covers have been the subject of wrath of many in the industry. They have listened. This year, 10 of the 12 issue covers will be competition prints, with the remainder being submitted and voted on.
- The annual fee for Certified Professional photographers has been removed.
- The Ethics Committee has had the authority to cancel a photographers membership due to egregious ethics violations. They will also now be able to terminate degrees as well. The reasoning is that PPA does not want any ties assumed with a Photographer that commits illegal acts. Two case involving children were the impetus for this action.
- The 2013 IUSA was on tract to set a new attendance record as of the start of the Council meeting.
- The 2014 IUSA will be in Phoenix, Arizona, January 12 – 14, 2014
Thank you for the opportunity serve as a bridge between PPA and the individual membership.
Gary Woods, M.Phot., Cr. Photog, TCD, TSD