- When: Thursday, March 13, 2014 from 6:00-9:00pm (pizza dinner at venue)
- Where: Farmer’s Mutual of Tennessee (837 Hall of Fame Drive, Knoxville, TN 37917)
- What: Professional Photographers of East Tennessee Monthly Meeting and 2014 Annual Print Salon (competition)
- Cost: PPETN Members: Free to attend / Cost for submitting images—see below (join here); Non-Members: $20.00 to attend / cannot submit images (first visit is free)
The next meeting for PPETN (Professional Photographers of Tennessee) will be Thursday, March 13 at Farmer’s Mutual of Tennessee in downtown Knoxville. Because this is a unique meeting, please arrive at 6:00pm for a pizza dinner (and bring cash for the cost of the dinner). We are starting the competition as early as possible after 6:00pm to allow for thorough judging and feedback (when possible). You can follow the planning and conversation about this event on our Facebook group here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/PPETN/. The program will be from 6:00-9:00pm (or later if needed for comments and judging).
2014 PPETN Annual Image Salon (Photography Competition)
It is time for our annual photography competition again! This is a fabulous opportunity for fine-tuning your photographic skills, a great marketing opportunity (if you win), and can also help your business’s credibility and search engine ranking (winners will be listing on the website with backlinks).
[one_half]We will have at least three professional judges that usually are very open with suggestions and thoughts on the submissions. You may also want to ask them further questions after the judging (if time permits). This year’s categories are:
- ANIMALS (subcategories Pets and Wildlife)
- PORTRAIT (subcategories Male, Female, and Child)
- GROUPS (subcategories Couples and More than Two)
- ILLUSTRATIVE (subcategories Abstract, Pictorial, and Photojournalism)
- COMMERCIAL (subcategories Editorial, Industrial, and Architectural)
- WEDDING (subcategories Bridal Portraits and Event)
- ALBUM (subcategories Open and Wedding)
- ELECTRONIC IMAGING
The rules for the competition are posted below. All entrants must be in good standing and follow all the Salon rules. Images should be e-mailed to email@example.com. If you do not receive an e-mail reply that it has been received, assume it has not.
Submissions must arrive no later than Monday, March 10th at 5:00pm (There will be NO EXCEPTIONS!). Entry fees when submitted prior to noon March 3rd: 4 or less submissions for $50, 5 or 6 submission for $75. Entries submitted between noon March 3rd and March 10th at 5:00 pm: 4 or less submissions for $75, 5 or 6 submissions for $100. The closer you submit your entries to the deadline, the more likely for errors to be introduced in the naming and categorization of your entries.
[/one_half][one_half_last][bne_testimonials_slider image_style=”circle” nav=”false”][/one_half_last]
Monthly 8×10 Competition
There will be no monthly print competition in lieu of our annual image competition for this meeting.
2014 PPETN Annual Image Salon (Photography Competition) – Rules
- Any member of PPETN or any other PPA local affiliate in good standing is welcome to submit images to the competition for scoring. Only paid active, aspiring or studio members in good standing that have attended at least four out of the last twelve meetings may win awards. Members who have joined for the first time are waived from this requirement. If registration and case fee detailed below is not received by deadline, no entry will be accepted. Image titles MUST match on the registration, digital filename, otherwise the entry will not be accepted.
- The purpose of this competition is to allow photographers to enter digital photographic images and digital albums to be judged against a standard of excellence using the 12 Elements of a Merit Image. (For more information go to: http://www.ppa.com/competitions/content.cfm?ItemNumber=1792)
- Scoring will be as follows: Exceptional 95-100, Superior 90-94, Excellent 85-90, Deserving of a Merit 80-84, Above Average 76-79, Average 74-75, Acceptable 70-73.
- Images scoring 78-79 will be reviewed at the conclusion of each category by the judges to possibly improve the score for merit categorization (merits not actually awarded in local competition).
- Images scoring 80-81 will be reviewed at the conclusion of each category by the judges to possibly lower the score out of the merit category (merits not actually awarded in local competition).
- Entrant must have captured and created the original exposure.
- If an entry, in the good-faith opinion of the Salon Chairperson, violates copyright, trademark or any other applicable law then that entry shall be disqualified.
- The entrant’s name shall not appear anywhere in or on the face of the entry.
- No entry will be eligible that has been made under the supervision of an instructor or as a class assignment.
- No two entries in the same case shall be of the same subject.
- Entry media is for digital files only. Images and album pages will only be accepted as digital files.
- A total of six (6) entries are allowed.
- The Jury Chairperson will have the authority to decide on any question not specifically covered by these rules and the Chairperson’s decision will be final. Any entries not following these rules may be disqualified.
- An entry in the Electronic Imaging (Master Artist) category may be reproduced from an existing photograph, portrait, graphic or any other artwork produced by another person as long as the maker is willing and able to provide appropriate written permission for use at any time before, during or after the competition.
PHOTOGRAPHIC COMPETITION CATEGORIES
You must designate one of the below categories for each entry:
- A-1 Pets
- A-2 Wildlife
- P-1 Child (Individual)
- P-2 Male (Individual)
- P-3 Female (Individual)
- G-1 Couples
- G-2 More than 2
- SPORTS (S-1)
- I-1 Abstract
- I-2 Pictorial
- I-3 Photojournalism (Sports, News, etc.)
- C-1 Editorial
- C-2 Industrial
- C-3 Architectural
- W-1 Bridal portraits
- W-2 Event
- B-1 Open
- B-2 Wedding
- ELECTRONIC IMAGING (E-1)
- The purpose of adding the Electronic Imaging Category to the PPETN competition is to allow the entrant to demonstrate their art skills and expertise in pursuit of the PPA Master Artist degree (previously known as Master of Electronic Imaging degree). Entries will be judged for digital, artistic and technical proficiency. Entries can be created using digital or traditional art (such as painting and airbrush) or a combination of both. Through this competition, PPA members will gain valuable experience and benefit them in their efforts in becoming eligible to achieve the PPA Master Artist Degree.
- Each maker of a multi-maker album must pay a case fee.
- The album will count as one (1) of the maximum of six (6) entries allowed per entrant.
- Each maker’s entry form must use the same album title.
- Images in the multi-maker album must the work of the entrants with a minimum of 20 images per entrant.
- Multi-maker albums will be judged as one entry.
DIGITAL SINGLE-IMAGE ENTRY
- Files must be sized so the longest dimension is 4,000 pixels. Each file must contain an embedded color profile of sRGB or Adobe RGB 1998, and it must be saved at a JPG quality setting of 10. Total file size should not exceed 3.5 MB.
- Files are to be named: Image_Title (use _ for spaces: See_Spot_Run.jpg).
- The category abbreviation such as P-1, C-2, etc. must be embedded in the IPTC metadata under Caption/Description.
- The member’s name (Last Name_First Name) must be embedded in the IPTC metadata under Creator/Author.
- The title must be embedded in the IPTC metadata under Title/Document.
DIGITAL ALBUM ENTRY
- All page/spread files must have the longest file dimension at 4,000 pixels, have an embedded color profile of sRGB or Adobe RGB 1998, and be saved at a JPEG quality setting of 10.
- Each page/spread file may contain as many images as you desire.
- An album entry shall contain a minimum of 5 pages/spreads up to a maximum of 36 pages/spreads.
- All individual files must be compressed into a single ZIP file. ZIP file must be named: Album_Title_CategoryAbbreviation (use _ for spaces: Kaylee_Senior_Album_SE-3.zip).
- The category abbreviation SE-2 or SE-3 must be embedded in the IPTC metadata under Caption/Description for each individual page/spread file.
- The member’s name (Last Name_ First Name) must be embedded in the IPTC metadata under Creator/Author for each individual page/spread file. For a multi-maker album use LastName_FirstInitial of each maker.
- The title must be embedded in the IPTC metadata under Title/Document and the viewing order (2 digits) added for each individual page or spread file. (For example, Kaylee_Senior_Album_01 for cover, Kaylee_Senior_Album_02 for the first page or spread, Kaylee_Senior_Album_03 for the second, etc.)
- Studio identification or entrant’s name may not appear on any file within the album entry.
- Digital files are judged with calibration settings of D65, 120 cd/m2, 2.20 gamma.
DEADLINES, FEES, DIGITAL & PRINT DELIVERY
- Entries submitted prior to noon March 3rd – 4 or less submissions for $50, 5 or 6 submission for $75
- Entries submitted between noon March 3rd and March 10th at 5:00 PM – 4 or less submission for $75, 5 or 6 submissions for $100
- DEADLINE for receiving ALL entries with payment is Monday, March 10th at 5:00 PM. There will be NO EXCEPTIONS!
- All entries are to be submitted digitally via email to firstname.lastname@example.org and the case fee paid online at www.PPETN.com. DEADLINE for receiving ALL digital images is Monday, March 10th at 5:00 PM.
- All submissions must fulfill the entire requirements of this document or they may be disqualified.
- Best in Show Overall – the highest scoring image of all entrants.
- Best of Show –the highest scoring image receiving a minimum score of 80 in each category.
- 1st Place –the highest scoring print receiving a minimum score of 80 in each subcategory exclusive of the Best of Show designation.
- Distinguished – the second and third highest scoring prints receiving a minimum score of 78 in each subcategory.
Ties will be broken by judges.